A.D.O.P.T. is a temporary home to a number of dogs and cats waiting to find their perfect forever home. Please take a look at the dogs, puppies, cats and kittens currently being housed at our shelter or in foster care that are available for adoption. We update this page often, so check back frequently!
COVID-19 Adoption Process
A.D.O.P.T. Pet Shelter is now offering adoptions by appointment only. The shelter remains closed to walk-ins at this time. If you are interested in adopting please follow the steps below.
- Visit our website (www.adoptpetshelter.org) to learn more information about animals up for adoption.
- Complete an appropriate adoption application (available below on our website, one for cats, one for dogs, and one for small animals (hamsters)) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please be sure to answer all of the questions completely (incomplete applications will not be accepted) and include the dog or cat you are interested in adopting. Please feel free to list multiple animals as your first choice may not be available.
- Once your application is approved, our adoption team will contact you to set up a meet and greet. During the meet and greet you will have an opportunity to learn more about the pet you are interested in adopting. If the meeting goes well and you think you have found your match, we will complete the final steps. This includes the adoption contract and adoption fees. Please be prepared to take your new pet home at this time.
- The whole family should attend the meet and greet. Masks must be worn by all family members, at all times while in the building.
A few things to keep in mind if you are interested in using our adoption process:
*Masks must be worn by everyone, at all times while in the building.
*Due to the nature of the adoption process and the high demand for adoptions we cannot place holds on any of our animals prior to a meet and greet.
*The shelter remains closed to walk-ins until further notice.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
Please be safe and stay well.
The Adoption Process
We’re so happy that you’ve come to A.D.O.P.T. in search of your new pet! Our facility is full of amazing animals ready to find their forever homes. Below is an outline of how our application process works:
- Visit our shelter during adoption hours to complete an application and meet our animals. (You may complete and submit an online application prior to your visit if you wish to speed up the process!)
- You will meet with an adoption counselor who will introduce you to our animals and answer any questions you might have. If you’d like to spend some one-on-one time with an animal, we have private “get acquainted” rooms so you can get to know your potential pet outside of their normal shelter environment.
- If you find a pet that you think would be a perfect fit for you (and your family), you can submit a request to adopt your new friend! Your adoption counselor will help determine if it’s the best match for both you and your furry friend.
- Once approved, you can schedule a day/time to pick up your new family member! Please note: We do not do same-day adoptions.
A few things to note:
- All members of the family will need to meet your potential new pet. We want to make sure it’s a good fit for everyone!
- You must be 21 years or older to adopt. Please bring a valid form of I.D.
- If you are planning on adopting a dog and already have a dog at home, we will ask that you schedule an appointment to bring him/her to the shelter to meet your potential new pet.
- The adoption fee includes a routine veterinarian examination, spay/neuter, microchip, current vaccinations, deworming/parasite preventative*, heartworm testing and preventative in dogs, and testing for feline leukemia and FIV in cats. *A.D.O.P.T. only runs fecal tests on animals showing symptoms of a parasitic infection. Each animal is given a preventative dewormer that it is ~98% effective. The odds are unlikely that your animal came into our shelter with a parasite and is one of the 2% of cases not resolved by the initial dewormer, but you may wish to talk to your vet about running an easy & inexpensive fecal test at your initial check up if you have concerns.
|Puppies||Less than 4 months||$400*|
|Puppies||4 months – 1 year||$350*|
|Adults||1 year – 6 years||$300*|
|Seniors||7 years and older||$200*|
*A.D.O.P.T. reserves the right to charge a higher adoption fee for specialty breeds.
*Adopters will receive a $75 rebate if they complete an obedience class, A Sound Beginning, or any other training class with one of our recommended trainers & provides us with their graduation certificate within 3 months of adoption!
|Kitten||Under 1 year||$125|
|Pair of Kittens||Under 1 year||$200|
|Adult Cat||1 – 7 years||$100|
|Pair of Adults||1 – 7 years||$150|
|Senior Cat||Over 7 years||$75|
|Pair of Seniors||Over 7 years||$112.50|
|Special Breeds||Any age||$125+|
Applications must be completed and approved prior to adopting an animal. Email your completed application or questions for cats to Cat Applications (email@example.com) or for dogs send to Dog Applications (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also send a fax to 630-800-2194.
Please note that while we accept adoption applications via email, we just keep the application on file until the adopter starts the adoption process by visiting the shelter to meet our dogs & cats and work with an adoption counselor to find the right match. No appointment is necessary to meet the animals during our adoption hours.
- We generally do not do same-day adoptions. Please plan on visiting the shelter to work with an adoption counselor and pick out an animal first, allow us 24-72 hours to process and approve your application, and schedule an appointment to return to the shelter to finalize your adoption.
- All members of the family must be present in order to adopt. We want to make sure it’s a good fit for everyone!
- If you are planning on adopting a dog and already have an existing dog, we ask that you leave them at home during your first visit. Once you’ve picked out a dog you’d like to adopt, you can schedule an appointment with an adoption counselor to bring your dog to the shelter to meet your potential new pet. This is not necessary for cats.
- You must be 21 years or older to adopt. Please bring a valid form of I.D.
- Townhome/Condominium/Lease owners should be familiar with their HOA by-laws, pet policy, including restricted breeds, weight limits, and maximum number of pets allowed.
- Adopters must be willing to allow an A.D.O.P.T. representative to make a follow-up contact, either in person or by phone.
- A.D.O.P.T. requires potential adopters existing pets to be spayed or neutered. Exceptions are made for pets with medical conditions that would prohibit altering. Veterinarian documentation will be required
- If at any time you are unable to keep the pet or offer it proper care, it must be offered back to A.D.O.P.T. before alternate arrangements are made.
- If approved, an applicant must sign a contract to adopt an animal which outlines the responsibilities of the shelter and the adopter. This contract is legally binding. To view a copy of the contract language, download the appropriate PDF for either a dog or cat.
- Our primary adoption area is within 100 miles of the shelter.
Caring For Your Pet
We’ve compiled some useful information to help you with your new pet.
- House training tips
- Handling sensitivities
- Shy and fearful handling tips
- Training tips
- Resource guarding
- Jumpy mouthy dogs
- Pet ownership; important paperwork and documents
- Safety for pets at home: chemicals, plants and allergens
- Riding in cars and planes with pets
- Big equipment, construction and renovation safety for pets
- Home hacks for disabled pets
- Assistance dog resources for Autism
- VA benefits for service dogs